Thursday, August 18, 2011

A Back to School Mommy Rant



Most people have probably seen the above commercial. It's definitely a cute, creative, and catchy ad. And I've gotta admit, that song has been stuck in my head more than once.

But this morning, I saw the commercial again. And I heard something that I hadn't really noticed before. This music teacher actually says, "If your kids want to sound cool, they have to look cool."

Ummm.....That statement, sir, makes you a jerk.

I know that if my kid's band teacher were to say that to me or my child, he would find himself dodging various musical instruments that I would be hurling in his direction.

Yes, I know I'm overreacting. No, I'm not actually angry. I am fully aware of the fact that this ad is supposed to be a cute little song that sticks in people's heads. And that's exactly what it is, so they accomplished their goal. But I woke up cranky and now I want to throw things at a teacher who is actually only an actor. Don't judge my kid by her clothes. Jerk.

Sidenote: My child's school requires uniforms. She'll be going to school without denim, graphic tees, leggings, or tunics...

3 comments:

  1. Now that Des is getting older I am so thankful that she is now in a school that also requires uniforms. I remember the way kids used to treat others who's parents couldn't or wouldn't by them all the latest fashions or high end brands growing up. It is sad that our children think clothes are what make a person but many people do not live the "love people not things" way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Michelle! Uniforms make it easier for kids to see each other's personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a person that went to a private school that required uniforms, it doesn't stop the judging. I know that totally sucks, but the kids with the money will just wear polo white shirts or will wear lots of expensive jewelry or certain expensive and "in" shoes. There will always be something to judge people on and uniforms don't stop that, unfortunately :-(

    ReplyDelete